Public Relations Manager What They Do
Just the Facts
Plans and directs public relations programs designed to create and maintain a favorable public image for employer or client; or if engaged in fundraising, plans and directs activities to solicit and maintain funds for special projects and nonprofit organizations.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Business Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients, government officials, and media representatives and uses these relationships to develop new business opportunities.
- Writes interesting and effective press releases, prepares information for media kits, and develops and maintains company internet or intranet web pages.
- Identifies main client groups and audiences, determines the best way to communicate publicity information to them, and develops and implements a communication plan.
- Assigns, supervises, and reviews the activities of public relations staff.
- Develops and maintains the company's corporate image and identity, which includes the use of logos and signage.
- Responds to requests for information about employers' activities or status.
- Manages communications budgets.
- Directs activities of external agencies, establishments and departments that develop and implement communication strategies and information programs.
- Drafts speeches for company executives, and arranges interviews and other forms of contact for them.
- Evaluates advertising and promotions programs for compatibility with public relations efforts.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
People who do this job report that:
- You would sit most of the time. There's some walking and standing. You may have to lift and carry things like books, papers or tools weighing 10 lbs. or less.
- Work in this occupation requires being inside most of the time
- Work in this occupation involves sitting more than one-third of the time
Working in this career involves (physical activities):
- Seeing clearly up close
- Speaking clearly enough to be able to be understood by others
- Identifying and understanding the speech of another person
Work Hours and Travel
- Overnight travel
- Overtime work
Specialty and Similar Careers
Careers that are more detailed or close to this career:
- Account Executive -- Employed by an organization such as a bank, public relations firm, or advertising agency who is responsible for the business of a specific client.
- Business Development Director -- Works to improve an organization's market position and achieve financial growth.
- Customer Service Manager -- Plans, co-ordinates and controls the activities of the customer service team to maintain and enhance customer relationships and meet organizational and operational objectives.
- Image Consultant -- Advises clients on their personal appearance, speaking style, manner or other behaviors in order to improve personal or business images.
- Marketing Director -- Directs an organization’s general advertising, marketing, strategic planning, and business connections.
- Media Relations Director --