Billing, Cost and Rate Clerk What They Do
Just the Facts
Compiles data, computes fees and charges, and prepares invoices for billing purposes. May involve the use of a computer or typewriter, calculator, or adding machine.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Administrative and Information Support pathway.
A person in this career:
- Verifies accuracy of billing data and revises any errors.
- Operates typing, adding, calculating, or billing machines.
- Prepares itemized statements, bills, or invoices and records amounts due for items purchased or services rendered.
- Reviews documents such as purchase orders, sales tickets, charge slips, or hospital records to compute fees or charges due.
- Performs bookkeeping work, including posting data or keeping other records concerning costs of goods or services or the shipment of goods.
- Keeps records of invoices and support documents.
- Resolves discrepancies in accounting records.
- Types billing documents, shipping labels, credit memorandums, or credit forms, using typewriters or computers.
- Contacts customers to obtain or relay account information.
- Computes credit terms, discounts, shipment charges, or rates for goods or services to complete billing documents.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
People who do this job report that:
- You would sit most of the time. There's some walking and standing. You may have to lift and carry things like books, papers or tools weighing 10 lbs. or less.
- Work in this occupation requires being inside most of the time
- Work in this occupation involves sitting more than one-third of the time
Working in this career involves (physical activities):
- Seeing clearly up close
- Speaking clearly enough to be able to be understood by others
- Identifying and understanding the speech of another person
Work Hours and Travel
- Regular working hours and limited travel
Specialty and Similar Careers
Careers that are more detailed or close to this career:
- Accounting Clerk -- Reviews and maintains accounting records by entering balances and calculating interest on loans, bank accounts and credit accounts, reviewing invoices and bills and reconciling account statements.
- Accounts Payable Clerk -- Reconciles and pays all approved expenditures for a company, and ensures all expenses are paid in a timely fashion.
- Accounts Receivable Clerk -- Keeps track of invoices, purchases and money transactions within a company.
- Insurance Clerk -- Compiles, processes and maintains insurance information.
- Medical Insurance Clerk -- Maintains files and records related to medical insurance.
- Demurrage Clerk --
- Pricing Clerk --