Order Clerk What They Do
Receives and processes incoming orders for materials, merchandise, or services.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Administrative and Information Support pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares invoices, shipping document and contracts.
- Files copies of orders received or posts orders on records.
- Computes total charges for merchandise and services, including shipping charges.
- Recommends merchandise or services to customers.
- Reviews orders for completeness and forwards incomplete orders for further processing.
- Informs customer by mail or phone of unit prices, shipping dates and any anticipated delays.
- Receives and handles customer complaints regarding orders.
- Verifies customer and order information.
- Directs specified departments or units to prepare and ship orders to designated locations.
- Checks inventory to determine the availability of merchandise.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
People who do this job report that:
- You would sit most of the time. There's some walking and standing. You may have to lift and carry things like books, papers or tools weighing 10 lbs. or less.
- Exposure to pollutants, gases, dust, fumes, odors, poor ventilation, etc.
- Conditions are very hot (above 90 F) or very cold (under 32 F)
- Work in this occupation requires being inside most of the time
- Work in this occupation involves sitting more than one-third of the time
Working in this career involves (physical activities):
- Seeing clearly up close
- Speaking clearly enough to be able to be understood by others
- Identifying and understanding the speech of another person
Specialty and Similar Careers
Careers that are more detailed or close to this career:
- Advertising Clerk -- Receives orders for classified advertising in a newspaper or magazine from customers and prepares and marks classified advertisements according to copy sheet specifications to guide the composing room in assembling type.
- Customer Service Representative -- Opens accounts, explains and processes services, and corrects records.
- Order Tracer --
- Routing Clerk -- Sorts bundles, boxes, or lots of articles for delivery.
- Shipping and Receiving Clerk -- Verifies and keeps records on incoming and outgoing shipments and prepares items for shipment.