Proofreader What They Do
Reads transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Administrative and Information Support pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reads proof sheets aloud, calling out punctuation marks and spelling unusual words or proper names.
- Measures dimensions, spacing and the positioning of copy and illustrations to verify conformance to specifications, using a printer's ruler.
- Routes proofs with marked corrections to be reprinted.
- Reads corrected copies to make sure all corrections have been made.
- Marks copy to correct errors in type, arrangement, grammar, punctuation or spelling, using standard printers' marks.
- Corrects or indicates omissions, errors and inconsistencies found.
- Consults reference books for clarification on rules of grammar and composition.
- Compares information and figures on one record against the same data on other records or with the original to detect errors.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
People who do this job report that:
- You would sit most of the time. There's some walking and standing. You may have to lift and carry things like books, papers or tools weighing 10 lbs. or less.
- Work in this occupation involves using your hands to hold, control, and feel objects more than one-third of the time
- Work in this occupation requires being inside most of the time
- Work in this occupation involves making repetitive motions more than one-third of the time
- Work in this occupation involves sitting more than one-third of the time
Working in this career involves (physical activities):
Work Hours and Travel
- Regular working hours and limited travel
Specialty and Similar Careers
Careers that are more detailed or close to this career:
- Assistant Editor -- Checks other people's writing for factual errors by making extensive and meticulous research and corrects logical and grammatical errors.
- Braille Proofreader -- Verifies proof copy of braille transcription against original script, for example pamphlet, book, or newspaper, to detect grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors and marks proof for correction.
- Editor -- Reviews, evaluates and edits manuscripts, articles, news reports and other material for publication, broadcast or interactive media and coordinates the activities of writers, journalists and other staff.
- News Copy Editor --