Proofreader What They Do
Just the Facts
Reads transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Administrative and Information Support pathway.
A person in this career:
- Corrects or records omissions, errors, or inconsistencies found.
- Marks copy to indicate and correct errors in type, arrangement, grammar, punctuation, or spelling, using standard printers' marks.
- Reads corrected copies or proofs to ensure that all corrections have been made.
- Compares information or figures on one record against same data on other records, or with original copy, to detect errors.
- Consults reference books or secures aid of readers to check references with rules of grammar and composition.
- Routes proofs with marked corrections to authors, editors, typists, or typesetters for correction or reprinting.
- Measures dimensions, spacing, and positioning of page elements (copy and illustrations) in order to verify conformance to specifications, using printer's ruler.
- Reads proof sheets aloud, calling out punctuation marks and spelling unusual words and proper names.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
People who do this job report that:
- You would sit most of the time. There's some walking and standing. You may have to lift and carry things like books, papers or tools weighing 10 lbs. or less.
- Work in this occupation involves using your hands to hold, control, and feel objects more than one-third of the time
- Work in this occupation requires being inside most of the time
- Work in this occupation involves making repetitive motions more than one-third of the time
- Work in this occupation involves sitting more than one-third of the time
Working in this career involves (physical activities):
Work Hours and Travel
- Regular working hours and limited travel
Specialty and Similar Careers
Careers that are more detailed or close to this career:
- Assistant Editor -- Checks other people's writing for factual errors by making extensive and meticulous research and corrects logical and grammatical errors.
- Braille Proofreader -- Verifies proof copy of braille transcription against original script, for example pamphlet, book, or newspaper, to detect grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors and marks proof for correction.
- Editor -- Reviews, evaluates and edits manuscripts, articles, news reports and other material for publication, broadcast or interactive media and coordinates the activities of writers, journalists and other staff.
- News Copy Editor --