Word Processing Typist What They Do
Uses computer programs to prepare letters, reports, forms, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording. May perform other clerical duties as assigned.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Administrative and Information Support pathway.
A person in this career:
- Collates pages of reports and other documents prepared.
- Checks completed work for spelling, grammar, punctuation and format.
- Answers telephones, sorts and distributes mail, runs errands and sends faxes.
- Stores completed documents on a computer hard drive or disk.
- Prints and makes copies of work.
- Gathers and arranges material to be typed, following instructions.
- Reformats documents, moving paragraphs or columns.
- Adjusts settings for format, page layout, line spacing and other style requirements.
- Changes print wheels or fluid cartridges, adds paper and loads blank tapes, cards or disks into equipment.
- Keeps records of work performed.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
People who do this job report that:
- You would sit most of the time. There's some walking and standing. You may have to lift and carry things like books, papers or tools weighing 10 lbs. or less.
- Work in this occupation requires being inside most of the time
- Work in this occupation involves sitting more than one-third of the time
Working in this career involves (physical activities):
- Seeing clearly up close
- Identifying and understanding the speech of another person
Work Hours and Travel
- Regular working hours and limited travel
Specialty and Similar Careers
Careers that are more detailed or close to this career:
- Document Processor -- Handles incoming documents and data entry as well as organizes, images and indexes electronic documents.
- Legal Transcriptionist -- Transcribes daily dictation, records testimony, and prepares legal documents such as briefs, motions and petitions from dictation and may also file documents at the local courthouse, run errands, answer phones and perform general office duties.
- Policy Writer, Typing --
- Secretary -- Schedules appointments, gives information to callers, composes and types routine correspondences, reads and routes incoming mail, files records, and other various clerical duties.
- Stenographer -- Takes dictation in shorthand and transcribes dictated material.