Human Resources Assistant What They Do
Just the Facts
Compiles and keeps personnel records. Records data for each employee, such as address, weekly earnings, absences, amount of sales or production, supervisory reports, and date of and reason for termination. May prepare reports for employment records, file employment records, or search employee files and furnish information to authorized persons.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Administrative and Information Support pathway.
A person in this career:
- Processes, verifies, and maintains personnel related documentation, including staffing, recruitment, training, grievances, performance evaluations, classifications, and employee leaves of absence.
- Explains company personnel policies, benefits and procedures to employees and job applicants.
- Records data for each employee, including such information as addresses, weekly earnings, absences, amount of sales or production, supervisory reports on performance, and dates of and reasons for terminations.
- Gathers personnel records from other departments or employees.
- Examines employee files to answer questions and provide information for personnel actions.
- Answers questions regarding examinations, eligibility, salaries, benefits, and other pertinent information.
- Compiles and prepares reports and documents pertaining to personnel activities.
- Requests information from law enforcement officials, previous employers, and other references to determine applicants' employment acceptability.
- Processes and reviews employment applications to evaluate the qualifications of applicants.
- Arranges for advertising or posting of job vacancies, and notifies eligible workers of position availability.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
People who do this job report that:
- You would sit most of the time. There's some walking and standing. You may have to lift and carry things like books, papers or tools weighing 10 lbs. or less.
- Work in this occupation requires being inside most of the time
- Sound and noise levels are loud and distracting
- Work in this occupation involves sitting more than one-third of the time
Working in this career involves (physical activities):
- Seeing clearly at a distance
- Seeing clearly up close
- Speaking clearly enough to be able to be understood by others
- Identifying and understanding the speech of another person
Work Hours and Travel
- Regular working hours and limited travel
Specialty and Similar Careers
Careers that are more detailed or close to this career:
- Staffing and Assignments Coordinator --