Property Manager What They Do
Just the Facts
Plans, directs, and coordinates the buying, selling, leasing, or governance activities of commercial, industrial, or residential real estate properties.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Business Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Manages and oversees operations, maintenance, and administrative functions for commercial, industrial, or residential properties.
- Investigates complaints, disturbances, and violations.
- Directs and coordinates the activities of staff and contract personnel.
- Maintains records of sales, rental activity, special permits issued, and operating costs.
- Inspects facilities and equipment to document damage and determine repair needs.
- Maintains contact with insurance companies, fire and police departments, and other agencies to ensure protection and compliance with codes and regulations.
- Prepares reports on the financial and operational status of a property or facility.
- Meets with prospective leasers to show property, explain terms of occupancy, and provide information.
- Analyzes bids from contractors for repairs, renovations and maintenance.
- Coordinates maintenance, repair, and remodeling or construction projects for commercial or residential properties.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
People who do this job report that:
- You would often handle loads up to 10 lbs., sometimes up to 20 lbs. You might do a lot of walking or standing, or you might sit but use your arms and legs to control machines, equipment or tools.
- Work in this occupation requires being inside most of the time
- Work in this occupation requires being outside most of the time
- Work in this occupation involves sitting more than one-third of the time
Working in this career involves (physical activities):
- Seeing clearly up close
- Speaking clearly enough to be able to be understood by others
- Identifying and understanding the speech of another person
Work Hours and Travel
- Irregular hours
- Overnight travel
- Weekend work
Specialty and Similar Careers
Careers that are more detailed or close to this career:
- Asset Manager -- Oversees assets that are owned, leased and subleased by an organization, working to increase revenue and asset values.
- Condominium Association Manager -- Responsible for handling the financial affairs of the property, overseeing maintenance, dealing with residents and hiring office staff to help with the work.
- Facilities Manager -- Responsible for the management of services and processes that support the core business of an organization, with a focus on using best business practice to improve efficiency, by reducing operating costs while increasing productivity.
- Land Acquisition Manager --