Operations Research Analyst What They Do
Just the Facts
Formulates and applies mathematical modeling and other optimizing methods to develop and interpret information that assists management with decision making, policy formulation, or other managerial functions. May collect and analyze data and develop decision support software, service, or products. May develop and supply optimal time, cost, or logistics networks for program evaluation, review, or implementation.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Administrative and Information Support pathway.
A person in this career:
- Analyzes operational information, and prepares clear descriptions of problems.
- Validates and tests models to ensure adequacy, reformulating models as necessary.
- Collaborates with managers and decision-makers to clarify objectives and identify and solve problems.
- Defines data requirements, and gathers information using statistical tests.
- Studies information about various courses of action and selects plans that offer the best outcomes.
- Prepare reports for management defining and evaluating problems and recommending solutions.
- Prepares models of problems to identify constants, variables, restrictions, and conflicting objectives.
- Analyzes information about each of the parts of component problems.
- Evaluates the implementation and effectiveness of research.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
People who do this job report that:
- You would sit most of the time. There's some walking and standing. You may have to lift and carry things like books, papers or tools weighing 10 lbs. or less.
- Work in this occupation requires being inside most of the time
- Work in this occupation involves making repetitive motions more than one-third of the time
- Work in this occupation involves sitting more than one-third of the time
Working in this career involves (physical activities):
- Seeing clearly up close
- Speaking clearly enough to be able to be understood by others
- Identifying and understanding the speech of another person
Work Hours and Travel
- Regular working hours and limited travel
Specialty and Similar Careers
Careers that are more detailed or close to this career:
- Policy Advisor -- Determines and formulates policies and provides overall direction of companies within guidelines set up by a governing body.
- Process Analyst -- Conducts organizational studies and evaluations, designs systems and procedures, conducts work simplifications and measurement studies, and prepares operations and procedures manuals to assist management in operating more efficiently and effectively.