Office/Administrative Support Supervisor What They Do
Supervises and coordinates the activities of workers involved in providing administrative support services.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Administrative and Information Support pathway.
A person in this career:
- Plans and prepares work schedules and duty assignments.
- Evaluates staff job performance, and recommends appropriate personnel action.
- Verifies the accuracy of work, computations, and records.
- Interviews, selects, and discharges employees.
- Reviews records and reports pertaining to production, operation, pay roll, and customer accounts.
- Trains employees in work and safety procedures and company policies.
- Examines procedures and recommends changes to save time, labor, and other costs and to improve quality control and operating efficiency.
- Uses computers to keep records of inventory, personnel, orders, supplies, and machine maintenance.
- Compiles reports and information required by management or government agencies.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
People who do this job report that:
- You would often handle loads up to 10 lbs., sometimes up to 20 lbs. You might do a lot of walking or standing, or you might sit but use your arms and legs to control machines, equipment or tools.
- Work in this occupation requires being inside most of the time
- Sound and noise levels are loud and distracting
- Work in this occupation involves sitting more than one-third of the time
Working in this career involves (physical activities):
- Seeing clearly up close
- Speaking clearly enough to be able to be understood by others
- Identifying and understanding the speech of another person
Work Hours and Travel
- Regular working hours and limited travel
Specialty and Similar Careers
Careers that are more detailed or close to this career:
- Admissions Officer -- Evaluates applications from potential students to determine if they match admission requirements.
- Airline Ticket Sales and Reservations Supervisor -- Trains and supervises employees, resolves serious customer disputes, manages employee disputes and develops ticket counter employee schedules.
- Call Center Director -- Manages the daily operations of a customer service or sales-oriented call center, including staffing and scheduling, implementation of all workforce management software, and the meeting of sales goals or quotas.
- Claims Supervisor -- Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in examining insurance claims for payment in claims division of insurance company.
- Customer Care Manager -- Responsible for ensuring that customers of a company or organization are happy with the service they are receiving.
- Executive Assistant -- Coordinates administrative procedures, public relations activities and research and analysis functions for members of legislative assemblies, ministers, deputy ministers, corporate officials and executives, committees and boards of directors.
- Human Resources Manager -- Plans, directs and coordinates human resource management activities of an organization to maximize the strategic use of human resources and maintain functions such as employee compensation, recruitment, personnel policies, and regulatory compliance.
- Medical Billing Supervisor -- Oversees the accurate posting of payments and adjustments for collection agencies, the transferring of accounts and posting of payment, adjustment for bad debt accounts and is responsible for timely correction of posting errors.
- Payroll Administrator -- Responsible for all the tasks involved in paying the employees of a business, organization or company.
- Purchasing Manager -- Plans, organizes, directs, controls and evaluates the activities of a purchasing department and develop and implement the purchasing policies of a business or institution.
- Station Agent -- Duties include promoting and selling air travel, loading and unloading of cargo on and off aircraft, transporting cargo between terminals and aircraft, physical handling of freight and company material, cleaning and servicing cabin interiors.